Little Flock of Horrors | merino for little monsters is a new line of fashion-inspired casualwear that is handmade in New Zealand from 100% New Zealand merino.
We’re all about embracing kid’s’ inner monsters and capturing those moments.
Lucy and Fran Wildman are parents to Iggy and Frankie –the two little monsters who inspire the couple’s brand. When her son was born in the middle of a particularly cold winter, Lucy happened to find some garments made from merino wool, which kept him warm and comfortable. “The only problem was that the silhouettes and cuts were traditional and pretty blah,” Lucy says. So she bought herself a sewing machine and merino, making up clothes for him, stylish enough for friends to notice her gift of color combining. After her daughter was born 18 months later, Little Flock of Horrors went from a pet project to a designed line.
“We’re not a fluffy and soft baby brand, we’re honest,” Lucy says.”I lived in the US for almost a decade working in snowboarding/action sports before moving back to New Zealand with my husband four years ago to start our business. We get Americans. Now we just need to show them why they should be wearing merino!”
If you’ve never been to New Zealand, you may be interested to know that the “sheep-to-person ratio” there is a little over seven sheep per person. The wool from those merino sheep makes THE ultimate fabric, and New Zealand makes the best merino in the world. And here’s why your children should be wearing merino:
- It’s 100% natural, biodegradable, totally renewable and sustainable
- It’s the only fabric that naturally breathes and controls moisture
- It’s antimicrobial, hypoallergenic and antibacterial
- It’s flame retardant and self-extinguishing
- It’s machine washable and can be tumble-dried
- And might I add luxurious, sleek and beautiful, too!
Currently available for sale online, Lucy and Fran recently launched a Kickstarter campaign and are heading to New York City for this weekend’s retail tradeshows to show a Spring ’14 collection of drop-crotch pants, dipped hem tops, skinny leggings, kimono wrap tops, slouchie beanies, fingerless gloves and more.
And what a difference it is!
- Children’s Retail Today publishes new posts on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. If you want to get the word out about your innovative, imaginative and inspiring products for children, contact me today!